||The Hunt dates from 1825, when it was founded at Coniston by Mr Gaskarth, great-great-uncle of Robin Logan (1943-54), and Mr Jackson, as a trencher-fed pack to run fox, marten and hare. When Mr J G Marshall took over as Master, hounds were kennelled at his home, Monk Coniston Hall; later, they were kennelled, variously, at Coniston (near The Ship Inn), Sawrey and Satterthwaite. In 1881, The Reverend E M Reynolds moved them to the present kennels at Ambleside (which had previously been used by the Ambleside Harriers) and appointed a huntsman (for some years, hounds had been hunted by knowledgeable followers). In 1908, brothers John and Bruce Logan became Joint Masters. They already had their own hounds (the Windermere Harriers), and the packs were merged. In 1908 Messrs Logans private pack was amalgamated with the Coniston and made into a subscription pack. The Hunt kept the name "Coniston Foxhounds" and was organised on a subscription basis. Two families are exemplary of the long continuity of the pack. John and Bruce Logan were great-nephews of the founder, Mr Gaskarth. John Logan died after a year in office, but his brother continued until his death in 1943. John Logans son, Robin, was Master until his death in 1954 and Robins son, Bruce, was then Master until 1978. During Mr Marshalls mastership, Tom Chapman was huntsman. His great-nephew, George Chapman, was huntsman from 1908-31. Georges son, Anthony, was whipper-in from 1931-40 and huntsman from 1944-76. Anthony Chapmans daughter, Mrs Parsons, was Master 1991-99, and the present Huntsman, Michael Nicholson, is his grandson.