Cumberland Foxhounds

Hunt Button

Contact Details

(Merged)
Primary Contact Mr. J. T. Brockbank MFH
Prefered Contact Email: jtbrockbank123@btinternet.com
Website TBC
[wcm_restrict]

Hunt Details

Hunt Type: Foxhounds
Hound Breed: TBC
Hunt Quarry: TBC
Areas: Cumberland
Kennel Address: The Kennels, Westward Park, Wigton, Cumbria CA7 8AP
Counties: Cumberland
Primary Country: England
Secondary Country: TBC

Master(s)

Name:Mr. Stephen Lightfoot
Start Year:2019
Address:2 Westward Park Cottages, Westward Park, Wigton, Cumbria, CA7 8AP. Mob: 07968 099328. Email: slightfoot6930@gmail.com
Notes:None
Name:John Stobart
Start Year:1998
Address:Howbeck Lodge, Hesket Newmarket, Wigton, Cumbria CA7 8JN Tel: 01697 478206. Mob: 07775 900821. Email: christine@howbecklodge.com
Notes:None
Name:J T (Timothy) Brockbank
Start Year:1994
Address:Church Hill Farm, Westward, Wigton, Cumbria, CA7 8LZ. Mob: 07979 715344. Email: jbrockbank123@btinternet.com
Notes:None

Former Master(s)

Name:John E Brockbank
Start Year:1966
End Year:2018
Notes:
Name:Major Colomb, 1827-ca 1831 Col Wybergh, 1876-85 Mr Lawson, 1886-90 H C Howard, 1876-1906 C J Parker, 1895-1912 A Wybergh, 1912-13 F P N Dunne, 1912-14 A Committee, 1914-22 Cumberland West: J H Jefferson, 1903-08 Lord Leconfield, 1908-09 Sir Wilfred Lawson, Bt, 1909-37 Lady Lawson, 1937-38 A Committee, 1938-46 By arrangement, Sir Wilfred Lawson, Bt, also hunted the Cumberland country, 1914-22 Mr de Courcy-Parry, 1947-54 Cumberland Farmers: R H Tinniswood, 1923-42 R S Harker, 1933-42 In abeyance, 1942-1946 Cumberland and Cumberland Farmers: amalgamated on 1st May, 1946 D W E Brock, 1946-52 G B Fairbairn, 1948-52 R H Tinniswood, 1952-53 Cumberland: D W E Brock, 1948-52 G B Fairbairn, 1948-52 C N de Courcy-Parry, 1952-56 Miss E A Motion, 1954-56 Major A F S Wilson, 1956-66 Mrs F Fisher, 1973-81 W J Bowes, 1981-98
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Notes:

Huntsman

Name:Mr. Michael Burton
Start Year:2017
End Year:N/A
Address:Mob: 07393 425735
Notes:

Former Huntsmen

Name:Leslie Hudson
Start Year:1987
End Year:2018
Address:TBC
Notes:None
Name:J. T. Brockbank MFH, 1998-2016
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Address:
Notes:

Kennel Huntsmen

Name:TBC

Whippers-in

Name:(1987) L Hudson
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Address:
Notes:

Secretary

Name:Miss Rosie Thompson
Start Year:2016
End Year:N/A
Address:Westward, Wigton, Cumbria CA7 8NQ Tel: 01697 342584 Mob: 07963 262364 Email: rosie.thompson13@outlook.com
Notes:None

Chairman

Name:Mr. Stephen Lightfoot MFH
Start Year:2019
End Year:N/A
Address:See details for Master
Notes:

President

Name:TBC

Other Roles

Role:No Additonal Roles

Other Previous Roles

Role:Chairman
Name:John Ritson
Start Year:2013
End Year:2019
Notes:None

Other Information

Affiliations: MFHA
Subscription: £175 for those living in the country; £275 for those living outside the country. Cap: £25 visitor
Meet: Monday (on foot), Wednesday and Saturday.
Season: Season
Uniform: Distinctive Collar: Grey. Evening Dress: Red, grey facings.
Other Notes: TBC

History of the Hunt

Start Year: 1827
End Year: N/A
History: A Hunt button, stamped with an early head of George III, ca 1770, showing an engraved running hare, and over it the words "The Cumberland Hunt", is mentioned in the book, Cumberland Foxhounds (published privately, ca 1880), but of its history nothing is known. Edward Hasell, "Squire Black Cap", of Dalemain, who died in 1781, kept hounds to hunt stag and fox, followed by his son, Williams Hasell whose son, Edward, inherited hounds and captured the last stags on Whinfell and Inglewood Forests. There were only occasional hunts, and it was known as the "Inglewood Hunt". Edward Hasell also kept harriers, but members of the Cumberland Hunt asked that these be given up, and as a result of this request, the "Inglewood Hunt" and the Cumberland Hunt were amalgamated, and in 1827 were changed into the Cumberland Foxhounds, when the country was advertised and Major Colomb (later General), of Armathwaite Castle, was appointed master. Foxes were few, and the Major retired in ca 1831, when Mr Hasell took over the pack and amalgamated them with his own; the name changed to the "Inglewood Foxhounds". In 1836 Mr Hasell retired, and in 1839 hounds were sold. The only pack left in the area was the Carlisle Hounds, but money and foxes were scarce, and Captain Ferguson, of Houghton Hall, had the idea of turning the pack into staghounds. When Capt Ferguson went to Canada in 1842, Col Salkeld took these hounds, which he kept at Holm Hill, and hunted foxes from autumn until Christmas. In 1849 he retired, and gave hounds to his huntsman, Joe Graham, who took them into Dumfriesshire. In 1853, Mr Lawson (later Sir Wilfred), was hunting the western division of Cumberland, and Mr Dixon was Master of the Carlisle Harriers, hunting the eastern side. The harriers were sold to Wales, and Mr Lawson took over the eastern country until 1859 (when he became MP for Carlisle), and his brother William took over for one season. Milham ("Fierce Milham from the Parton Point") Hartley was master for three seasons, and the pack was called The Cumberland Foxhounds again. Mr Musgrave Brisco took hounds from 1864-65, then Milham Hartley again until 1868. A Committee took over until 1870 with Sir Wilfred Lawson nominal master. In 1871, the Committee resigned, and Sir Wilfred resumed the mastership, Mr Granville Sharp was secretary, and James Tirr huntsman. In 1872, Major Wybergh became huntsman, showed great sport, and in 1876 he was joined by H C Howard, when they became joint masters. Subsequently, there were separations and amalgamations.

Hunt Country

Hunt Country: The country, wholly in Cumberland, is some 15 by 20 miles in extent.

Updated

Last Updated: 2021-02-27 12:36:09
Reason for update: N/A
[/wcm_restrict] [wcm_nonmember] [/wcm_nonmember] Directory Edit

Sorry...

Sorry, there are no posts related to this hunt.