P McDonough, 1914-23
M D Shaw, 1914-40
Capt J Lysley, 1945-46
Michael O'B Kelly, 1950-51
A McDonogh, 1923-45, 1946-50 and 1951-53
H Russel, 1953-60
R D Hodgins, 1960-64
J Power, 1964-66
M J Walshe, 1966-73
D O'Meara, 1975-89
Gerrard Gleeson, 1974-98
Garry McCarthy, 1989-2003
On application. Cap: EUR25, children EUR20, visitors on application.
Saturdays and Wednesdays, 11 am.
Green coat, red collar (Hunt staff). Evening Dress: Black.
30 couples hounds. Visitors welcome by arrangement.
History of the Hunt
The Pack was started in the current form by P McDonough and M D Shaw, who were Joint Masters from 1917-23. It is reputed to have existed since 1860 but became a Hunt Club in 1917. Until then it was a trencher fed pack and is said to have hunted a deer through Limerick City in 1894, crossing the river Shannont. The Club has the distinction of having had an extraordinary Huntsman in Michael Buckley, who hunted hounds for 33 consecutive years before retiring in 2001. A landmark in the Club history came in 2002 when the pack started hunting two days a week after a merger with the Limerick Farmers Hunt. Supported by staunchly loyal members, it is a friendly and welcoming Club.
The country is within extends from Limerick City south to Charleville and from Newcastle West to Knockainey/Hospital in the east. The country hunted is mainly the infamous Limerick Bank country, interspersed with banks, ditches and stone walls. Best centres: Ballysimon, Crecora, Kilmeedy and Ashill. A brave and surefooted horse is required. Adjacent Hunts: Duhallow, Co Limerick Foxhounds, Scarteen "The Black and Tans", and the Stonehall Harriers.