Wick and District Beagles

Hunt Button

Contact Details

(Disbanded)
Primary Contact Mrs P Burnett-Brown
Prefered Contact TBC
Website TBC
[wcm_restrict]

Hunt Details

Hunt Type: Beagles
Hound Breed: TBC
Hunt Quarry: TBC
Areas: Gloucestershire
Kennel Address: Near Bristol. Phone Mrs Burnett-Brown
Counties: Gloucestershire
Primary Country: England
Secondary Country: TBC

Master(s)

Name:(2011) Miss Christina Young
Start Year:N/A
Address:The Annexe, Oldfield Farm, Earthcott, Alveston, Bristol, BS35 3TD Mob: 07702 848385 Email: christinay121@hotmail.com
Notes:
Name:(2010)Mrs Petronella Burnett-Brown
Start Year:N/A
Address:Downthorns Farm Down Road North Wraxall Chippenham Wilts SN14 7AP Mob: 07802 324292 Email: pekdittmer2@3disp.co.uk
Notes:

Former Master(s)

Name:Dr I Hawes, 1905-14 and 1924-28 E E Pratt, 1924-27 and 1928-29 Major C Wade, 1928-31 J V Phipps, 1931-32 J Way, 1974-75 Mrs J A Seymour Williams, 1978-1992 Mrs P Burnett-Brown, 1991-1992 M Maddaford, 1992-1993 J T Seymour Williams, 1991-1995 J A Seymour Williams 1931-1995 (died in office) Mrs P Burnett-Brown, 1996-2009 Mr N Bell, 1996-2009 Mr J West, 2009 Mr N Tiffin, 2009 Mr D Eggbeer, 2009-2010 Mrs Petronella Burnett-Brown 2010
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Notes:

Huntsman

Name:(2010) Miss Christina Young
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Address:
Notes:

Former Huntsmen

Name:TBC

Kennel Huntsmen

Name:TBC

Whippers-in

Name:(1969) Dr R Hughes; (1989) Mr N Tiffin; (1995) Mr Leo Spruels; (2003) Mr Nick Tuck; (2009) Mr D A Williams.
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Address:
Notes:

Secretary

Name:(1992) David P C OHagan
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Address:3 The Elms, Trymwood Close, Henbury, Bristol BS10 7AE Tel: 0117 9506926 Email: dpcohagan@gmail.com
Notes:

Chairman

Name:(2003) Dr Roderick Hughes
Start Year:N/A
End Year:N/A
Address:Hill House, Iron Acton, Bristol, South Gloucestershire, BS37 9XA Tel: 01454 228439 Email: r_and_e@onetel.com
Notes:

President

Name:TBC

Other Roles

Role:Treasurer
Name:(2012) Robin G Gillespie
Start Year:N/A
Notes:
Role:Hare Conservation Officer
Name:(2012) John Hannah
Start Year:N/A
Notes:

Other Previous Roles

Role:No Additonal Roles

Other Information

Affiliations: TBC
Subscription: Family 295. Single 195. Cap: 7.
Meet: Thursday and Saturday, 1.00 pm.
Season: Season
Uniform: Distinctive Collar: Green. Evening Dress: Green, white facings.
Other Notes: TBC

History of the Hunt

Start Year: 0
End Year: N/A
History: The Hunt dates from 1905, when it was the Hawes, but was broken up on the outbreak of the First World War. Revived in 1924, Basset hounds were used in place of beagles. J A Seymour Williams took over the Hawes Bassets from Major Wade in 1931, when they were hunting mainly the Duke of Beauforts country to the east and west of the BathGloucester Road, and hounds were moved to the Seymour Williams house at The Lodge, Warmley, where new kennels were built. Dick Knapp, the much-loved kennelman, moved to Warmley, too, and continued his duties. In 1936 the Basset hounds were disposed of, and with a draft from the Cranwell Beagles, the pack became the Wick and District Beagles. Hunting ceased at the outbreak of the Second World War: in 1940 the pack had to be put down, as the Seymour Williams field, including the site of the kennels, was requisitioned for the building of a wartime factory. After the War, on 1st March 1947, Mr Seymour Williams, accompanied by Captain Ron King-Smith, Hunt Chairman, and Robert Young, first whipper-in, met the Roffe-Silvester brothers and purchased a draft of six excellent hounds from the Beacon Beagles. The Clifton Foot Harriers kindly offered to kennel the hounds at Yatton, and the two packs hunted together throughout the 1947-48 season. John Seymour Williams first chance of hunting hounds after the War was when he invited the Clifton Foot to bring their combined pack to a meet at The Old Rectory, Syston, on 25th October 1947. Having purchased hounds, he set about building kennels at The Old Rectory. What was formerly the gardeners bungalow was used as the home for a kennelman, and the nucleus of the kennels was a former parcels railway van, purchased from the Great Western Railway works at Swindon. Sufficient progress was made so that it was possible to bring back hounds to The Old Rectory soon after the end of the 1947-48 season. In the late summer of 1948 three couple of hounds were bought from an Army pack in Northern Ireland and they arrived at the kennels on 17th September 1948. With six couples of hounds, John was able to hold the first post-War opening meet on 9th October 1948. More hounds were purchased, a breeding programme was put in place, and an excellent pack was soon built up. John Seymour Williams hunted the hounds until the early 1970s when he handed over to a younger huntsman. He was joined by his wife as joint master in 1978, and remained as a Master until his death in 1995.

Hunt Country

Hunt Country: The country consists in part of the Duke of Beauforts Hunt and the Berkeley Hunt. It is bounded to the west by the River Severn, to the south by the A4 and to the north east by the Tetbury to Chippenham Road.

Updated

Last Updated: 2018-08-10 11:40:53
Reason for update: N/A
[/wcm_restrict] [wcm_nonmember] [/wcm_nonmember] Directory Edit

Sorry...

Sorry, there are no posts related to this hunt.

Sorry...

Sorry, there is no photography related to this hunt.

Sorry...

Sorry, there are no posts related to this hunt.